Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very showy and tasty cake. If you are not planning to use it all at one time (party or large family) I would recommend replacing the whipped cream frosting with one that will be stable for a longer time but do still add the 1/2 tsp of instant coffee to it. Prep time includes making and assembeling the cake.
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine (soft) or 1 cup butter (soft)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 3⁄8 ounces Heath candy bars
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- Preheat oven to 350:.
- Grease and flour 3, 8 inch cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, margarine, buttermilk, cocoa, baking soda, vanilla, salt and eggs.
- With mixer on low, beat just until mixed, scraping sides with spatula.
- Add coffee to bowl.
- Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pans on racks, 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, chop Heath bars, reserve 2/3 of the heath bar.
- In a cup, dissolve 1/2 tsp instant coffee with 1 tsp hot water.
- With serrated knife, cut each cake in two, making 6 thin layers.
- In a bowl, beat whipping cream, brown sugar and cooled 1 tsp of coffee until stiff peaks form.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- place 1 layer on plate; spread with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with 1/5 of the remaining Heath bar.
- Repeat layers 4 more times.
- Top with last layer of cake.
- Thinly spread whipped cream over top and.
- sides of cake.
- Gently press reserved 2/3 of the Heath toffee onto top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.