Recipe by Chez Michelle
I made this for a couple of birthday parties-- amazing! :)
Top Review by chitheatergirl
This cake is delicious, and everyone who has tasted it asks me to make it. I added a homemade peanut butter frosting between the layers when my brother asked me to make a groom's cake that was "as if a peanut butter cup were a cake." It was a bigger hit than the wedding cake.
Make sure you let the ganche cool enough before frosting the cake or you'll get a big mess!
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml milk
- 236.59 ml strong brewed coffee
- 177.44 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- dreamy chocolate mousse mix (Makes about 4 1/2 cups)
- 7.08 g envelope unflavored gelatin
- 44.37 ml cold water
- 59.14 ml boiling water
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 709.77 ml heavy whipping cream
- chocolate fudge frosting (Makes about 3 cups)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
- 5 (141.74 g) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 147.89 ml butter
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- grated chocolate, chocolate curls
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) square or round cake pans. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add mik, coffee, oil, and eggs. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake layers in half horizontally to make 6 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake plate, spread with one-fifth of Dreamy Chocolate Mousse. Repeat procedure with remaining cake layers and mousse. Freeze cake for 1 hour. Spread Chocolate Fudge Frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. Garnish sides of cake with grated chocolate. Garnish top of cake with chocolate curls if desired.
- In a small bowl, soften gelatin in 3 tablespoons cold water. Let stand for 2 minutes. Add boiling water, stirring until gelatin dissolves; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar mixture, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in gelatin mixture. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; add chocolate and butter, stirring until melted and smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in confectioner's sugar. Let mixture cool until it reaches a spreadable consistency.