Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
Literally, SIX freakin' cans!! (It has been brought to my attention that there are only FIVE freakin' cans. Ooops, sorry. Usually I don't have a problem counting to five, but there you go. Enjoy the recipe anyway!)
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, undrained
- 10 ounces chicken, undrained
- 15 ounces black beans, undrained
- 10 ounces Rotel Tomatoes, drained
- 15 ounces refried beans
- Open all cans.
- Simmer in large saucepan until heated through. That's it. No kidding.
- ***You can top with crumbled tortilla chips, cheese and salsa if desired.
This is a regular dish in our house, at least once a month I'd say, though I do make a few modifications. I always double the recipe, (leftovers are great!) and I dice up 2-3 chicken breasts, and start by cooking a large onion, chicken and a tablespoon or two of minced garlic together. Then I put in 2 cans of chicken broth and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup. The corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilis. I season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.<br/><br/>I like to serve it with lots of topping choices, so I typically have tortilla chips, some lime wedges, cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado chunks, and sometimes some cilantro.
You know, there really is a sixth can! I have been making this soup for years from a recipe that is identical to this one--except for the addition of a can of refried beans stirred in. It adds flavor and consistency to the soup. So there's your sixth can. :)
Great, but I used home made salsa in place of Rotellos, and the soup comes out excellent.