Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
There was a chain of Italian restaurants in the Columbus, Ohio area that had this awesome salad as their house salad. I don't like blue cheese, so asked for it to be omitted, but loved the combination of bacon, lettuce and dressing. When the salad was brought to the table, they then offered fresh ground black pepper. I think this recipe was posted in the Columbus Dispatch Newspaper. NOTE: Due to this being a restaurant recipe, it makes a alot of dressing, about two cups, so you might want to cut the amount of dressing to 1/4 or 1/2 of this recipe.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 -4 teaspoons garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine first four ingredients for the dressing in a container and shake well.
- Put the lettuce in a bowl, sprinkle with bacon, blue cheese (if using) and red onion rings.
- Drizzle enough of the dressing to coat or to taste along with freshly ground pepper (optional) and enjoy.
Outstanding! This is now my favorite salad recipe!! The only changes I made to the recipe: exchange the blue cheese for feta, add chunked cucumbers and half the dressing (still have some left over..yum!). This salad got rave reviews from my dinner guests. It's simple and absolutely delicious!!
A simple and delicious salad. The salad was reduced to 1 serving provided a generous amount of dressing. The sugar in the dressing was reduced by half and was perfect for my taste. Mixed spring mix was used for the greens and the cheese was crumbled Queso Fresca making this delicious salad gluten free. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
this was nice salad cut down for one used bacos loved the blue cheese made for italian leg of the quest cakepops on parade