1/1 Photo of $500 Margarita Bread
1 hr 30 mins
San Marcos Sunshine's Note:
This is probably #2 of my Top Ten all time favorites. The recipe won Harold Freeman of Phoenix $150 in a newspaper contest probably 20 years ago. He should have easily won $500, as I've made many life long friends equally addicted to Harold's tipsy bread. I usually make it in mini foil pans for gifts. Don't skip the special cheese spread, as It really adds the lagniappe! Try it soon, and maybe we can each chip in another $5 to bring Harold his just reward for a great recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped small dice
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur (such as)
- triple sec or Cointreau liqueur
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (use a microplane grater if you have one)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 1In a small bowl, combine dates, tequila, orange liqueur, water, lemon and lime zest; set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat sugar, shortening and egg until fluffy. In another bowl, combine flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture, using low to medium speed. Stir in pecans.
- 2Turn into greased 9" x 5" by 2-1/2" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Or, bake 3 or 4 mini loaf pans 30-35 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool. Slice thin and serve with cream cheese spread.
- 3CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:.
- 4In small mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in liqueur and lime zest. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
- 5Bread freezes well.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for $500 Margarita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.6
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 58.3 mg
- Sodium 472.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: