This is our "everyday" lunch bread. I make it every night for the next day. I originally got it from the Oster bread machine recipe book but I adapted it somewhat. The 100% whole wheat recipe was just too heavy for our family. It makes a 2 lb loaf. Once I started making this bread, I couldn't go back to store bought!
- Put the ingredients into the bread machine pan in the order listed (and as accurately as possible).
- Select the whole wheat bread cycle (usually takes 3 1/2 hours).
- Remove from the pan when it's done and let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- During the summer I reduce the yeast to 1 tsp because it seems to rise so much more during the summer than the winter. Or you could increase the salt slightly (salt kills the yeast so it doesn't rise out of the machine!) So if you're getting a really huge loaf (and some of you have) try one of these 2 things and it should be better for you. For some reason atmospheric pressure (which varies according to seasons) makes a difference in how a bread rises. Enjoy!
- Thanks for all your great reviews! Another thing I've been doing to make this even healthier is adding 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed with the flour. It doesn't really change the flavour but adds some good for you omega 3s!