Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This loaf bakes up tall and fluffy!! We use a wheat blend flour from Gold Medal and Bread flour for this recipe. The recipe below is for a 2 lb. loaf.
- 1 -1 1⁄8 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups gold medal better for bread wheat blend whole wheat flour (can use whole wheat)
- 2 cups gold medal better for bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, using the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe.
- Select Whole Wheat cycle and Medium Crust setting.
- Press start.
- Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if you machine sounds as if it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.
- After baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.
- Note: Number of servings depending on thickness of slice.
I don't have a bread machine so I mixed the dough and kneaded it for 8 minutes in my Bosch mixer. I used King Arthur white wheat flour and bread flour. It made 12 HUGE rolls (next time I'll make them a bit smaller) that I baked for 20-25 minutes at 350. The bread was a nice light texture with a wonderful taste. The dough is devine to work with! Love the recipe, thanks for posting it!