Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mum used to make this all the time when we were kids. I used to make it for my DH who absolutely loved it, but now his diet won't allow him to have it. It can be made with all Lemons or all Oranges, whatever takes your fancy, or whatever you may have an abundance of. Mum's recipe was written in pints and not litres so I have left it this way, but the amount you get depends on the size of the bottles, and when serving you may like to add more or use less cordial pending on your taste.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon citric acid
- 1 tablespoon tartaric
- 3 large lemons
- 3 large oranges
- 2 1⁄2 pints boiling water
- Put sugar and acids in a large mixing bowl. Grate the rind of the fruit and add the sugar and acids in bowl.
- Squeeze juice from the fruit and add to mixture.
- Pour the boiling water over and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Cool the mixture strain and then bottle.
- To serve dilute with ice cold water, mixing one part of cordial to four parts of water.
Nice tart cordial, not too sweet! I halved the recipe and got a 1 litre bottle. We really liked this because it tasted fresh, something you just don't get from store bought cordials. Very tasty in water and cocktails! Thanks Tisme!