Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This came from a dear friend of mine's mother. She makes it for her family and the grown children always ask for take home containers.
- 793.78 g crushed tomatoes
- 946.36 ml water
- 113.39 g can tomato paste
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- 453.59 g Italian sausage
one recipe of meatballs
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (keeps the meatballs together better tho) (optional)
- Brown the sausage in a medium pan.
- Strain the tomatoes and finely crush what's left into the sauce pan.
- Add the water and the meatballs and simmer for at least 2 hours; chill, then remove the fat as one layer.
- Reheat and serve over your favorite pasta or on hoagie buns for meatball subs-- freezes well.
Delicious spaghetti & meatballs! I checked this recipe over and over, to see if I overlooked basil or oregano for the sauce, but made it as posted and it was fabulous - the sausage added so much flavor, I wouldn't change a thing. The meatballs were very flavorful and soft, not rock hard like I'm used to making (LOL), thanks to cooking them right in the sauce. I highly recommend this.
This is my new favorite. Absolutely delish. Thanks for posting.
Excellent! We think this would also be very good without the meatballs (with just the italian sausage).
We're planning on canning a big batch of the sauce without adding the italian sausage because the sauce tastes so wonderful! We'll use it as our italian red sauce.
Note: we used the drainage from the crushed tomatoes as part of our water base.