Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 mins
My sister sent me this recipe raving about how good these squares were. They taste exactly like a chocolate bar we used to buy as kids called a 5 Star Bar. Hope you like them as much as we do.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut or 2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 aero chocolate candy bars
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil (I use Crisco)
- Mix the margarine, cracker crumbs, coconut, condensed milk and vanilla together; press into an ungreased 9 x 9 pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
- For the icing, in a microwave proof bowl break up bars into smaller chunks, add to oil.
- Microwave for 1 minute or longer until the chocolate melts.
- Stir and carefully spread over squares.
- Store squares in the refrigerator.
- Can also be frozen.
Love these and make them every Christmas I don't use any cooking oil with my aero bars I use 5 bars instead! I just lay them on top of the base layer while it's hot and spread when melted!!!
These were good but I think they should have been baked in a 13X9 pan as they were very, very thick. I also only used half the icing as it was thick enough.
made these with melted chocolate chips on top as we do not have AERO bars here. Satisfied a sweet tooth like you wouldn't believe. I agree these would be good with a little granola mixed in.