Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My mother got this recipe from an Italian police officer. A very quick recipe to whip together when you are short on time. Serve over your favorite pasta.
- 4 large firm tomatoes, chopped
- fresh basil, chopped (lots)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 pinches salt
- 2 pinches fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated imported romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Saute the garlic cloves in the olive oil.
- Mix in rest of ingredients and saute while crushing all together.
- Cook 5 minutes.
Remember to use fresh, quality tomatoes that are ripe. If not, the sauce will be bitter.
This sauce is great - fast, easy, and so fresh. I felt like I had a gourmet sauce going on! I used parmesean instead of romano - it's all I had. I also added a little crushed fennel, onions, and creole seasoning. Yum! I'll make this again - with add-ons like red peppers. Exc!
This was excellent. The possibilities for add-ins is endless!! With garden tomatoes coming fast, I can make quick, yummy spaghetti sauce to freeze! Thanks.