Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
Made in a coffee mug that you cook in the microwave! I got this from my nextdoor neighboor who found it on an internet forward. its delicous! It can be a little dry, try topping or swirling with chocolate syrup?
- 59.16 ml cake flour (plain flour, not self-rising)
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml baking cocoa
- 1 egg
- 44.37 ml milk
- 44.37 ml oil
- 44.37 ml chocolate chips (you can add more or less)
- 0.25 ml vanilla
- Add dry ingredients to a coffee mug and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and vanilla essence, mix again.
- Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minuter at 1000 watts.
- The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
- Allow to cool a little and you can tip onto a plate if you want.
I've been making this over the years, and I like it, it's fun, but I have to change it to make it palatable: buttermilk instead of milk makes it much more moist. Also, saturate it with chocolate chips. That will also help the texture/taste. I've gotten funky and, during the holidays, added Andes baking mints to the mix, red or green. That actually came out really tasty. The way I do it also tends to make a huge mess (because of so many chips, I think), so use a big mug! Also, do yourself a favor and grease the mug first.
This fulfills a chocolate fix. It was chocolaty but disappointing at the same time. My microwave turned out more of a steamed pudding than a cake. It was not dry, in fact, it took on an almost rubbery moist texture. Not the fudge brownie texture I was expecting. Not a keeper for my taste!
I have seen this recipe several times on Zaar and in emails I have received. So I kept out of curiosity. I tried it today and I had to comment. I did not like it. It was rubbery and took on that odd texture microwave foods do so many times. It was too oily also. Yes it did only take 5 minutes! (1-star) It may take 6 months to work off the fat and sugars. With so many great cake recipes on Zaar, I don't think saving the time was worth the calories consumed and the so-so flavors!