This is a spectacular layered dip to serve out of a glass trifle dish or casserole. Goes together in minutes, and can be made ahead. It's great served either hot or at room temperature with warm tortilla chips (we like it with Tortilla Scoops) and an ice cold beer or margarita. Optional: Add strips of grilled carne asada or pollo asada and layer in a dish for a killer nachos supreme! Tip: I use Mexican Seasoning Mix for the seasoning.
- 1 (15 ounce) can spicy refried beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (1 ounce) packagelawry's taco seasoning mix (or Mexican Seasoning Mix, to taste)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies (or salsa)
- 4 somewhat firm avocados, diced small
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups green onions, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces chopped black olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips, warmed (such as Scoops)
- In a 13 x 9-inch glass serving dish, spread the refried beans.
- Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise and seasoning mix. Spread this on top of the beans.
- Put on a layer of the chopped green chiles (both cans). Note: You may substitute 8 ounces of chunky salsa for the chopped green chiles.
- Mix together the diced avocados, lemon juice, salt and garlic powder. Spread this on top of the green chiles.
- Mix together the shredded cheese, green onions, chopped tomatoes and chopped olives. Sprinkle this on top. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- May be served right away, or cover and chill for up to 24 hours. -OR-, to serve hot:, bake at 350 degrees F until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips (we like Tortilla Scoops).
- TO MAKE NACHOS SUPREME:.
- Layer dip with tortilla chips and sliced carne asada steak, pollo asada, seasoned ground beef, or shredded chicken; top with extra shredded cheese and diced green chiles. Bake or microwave briefly until heated through and the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Took this to a party and it was gobbled up! The only changes I made was I used half of the taco seasoning packet, and I drained a container of salsa, which I layered on top of the diced avocados. Thanks for the recipe!
I made this for a group of friends that came over last minute. I unfortunately didn't have any avocados, but I know it could have only made it better!! I used fat free beans and it was wonderful! A definate keeper!!
This was fabulous! Since we're a small family I cut the recipe in half and since I didn't have any tomatoes I substituted well drained salsa as another reviewer suggested and I heated it in the microwave a little. I will definitely make this again!