Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For extra flavor to this mac and cheese add chopped green onion and sprinkle bread crumbs on top
- 10 ounces medium elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for brushing pan
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente; drain.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add milk; cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups cheeses. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over noodles and combine.
- Transfer to a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes or until top is crisp and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Very yummy and simple. I added a pinch of nutmeg and paprika.
Just made it and wow! What an easy but beautiful mac and cheese dish! I'm going to stand back and admire it for a bit. :D Thanks for the great recipe!