Recipe by BigBrownDad
Enchilada sauce has all the ingredients for chili in it, except two, meat and cumin. Good restaurants use Tri-Tip for a great chili.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) tri-tip roast
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can beer or 1 (8 ounce) can water
- santa maria tri-tip seasoning (any rub will work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub meat with spices ( I use Santa Maria tri tip seasoning ).
- Cook Tri-Tip on BBQ med heat for 30 minute fat side up.
- remove from direct heat and bake in BBQ for another 30 minute.
- Cool then cover and refrigerate overnight. This is important because the meat will retain moisture.
- In A.M. cut Tri-Tip across grain into 1 inch chunks, remove and discard fat.
- Place in crock pot.
- Add enchilada sauce, cumin, and water.
- Cook on low (I use the warm setting on my crock pot when I am at work then when I get home finish on low if necessary).
- Remember this is beef and overcooking is easy to do.
- Add beans if desired.
- Please let sit chili overnight before eating.