1 hr 15 mins
Oh my heavens. This is the bomb. My self-control goes out the window with this one. Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine with Brian O-Reilly and Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion (small, diced)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon each of dried oregano, thyme, and parsley)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 2 small basil sprigs
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves, finely chopped (about 2 or 3 sprigs stripped from stems)
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the lasagne noodles.
- 2To make the sauce: Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium sauce pot and saute garlic and onion until onions become translucent. Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes, checking periodically to make sure the sauce doesn't burn.
- 3Boil the lasagne noodles until al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil so the noodles don't stick together. Let cool.
- 4This lasagne will have 4 layers but 2 different types of cheese layers. One cheese layer will consist of mascarpone, ricotta, Parmesan, and egg to bind. Combine these 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside briefly. Preheat oven to 350.
- 5Layer 4 to 5 lasagne noodles lengthwise side by side in an ovenproof lasagne dish with edges overlapping. Top with half of the mascarpone/ricotta cheese mixture. (It is easiest to drop evenly spaced spoonfuls of this over the noodles, and then spread it out). Distributte half of the fresh basil and half of the fresh oregano over the cheese, then layer another 4 or 5 lasagne noodles over the cheese in the same fashion as the first layer of noodles.
- 6The second layer of cheese will consist of provolone and mozzarella. Spread half of the provolone cheese slices over the second layer of noodles and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Repeat the process with the noodles, remaining mascarpone/ricotta and noodles for the third layer. For the last layer, spread out the remaining noodles, top with remaining provolone, but then ladle the tomato sauce over and finish with the remaining mozzarella.
- 7Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, remove and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 5-Cheese Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 359.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: