4 hrs 5 mins
3 hrs 20 mins
This creamy, gooey, gorgeous white lasagna will impress your special guests and loved ones. Mild, but with many subtle flavors, it makes for elegant comfort food. Though the recipe appears long, it breaks down into easy steps and can be prepared for baking the day before. Prep time includes roasting times (when you can be doing something else). Those who dislike ricotta may not mind it here, as it dissolves into the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 head garlic
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 59.14 ml dry white wine, plus
- 9.85 ml dry white wine, divided
- 2 bunch fresh asparagus (30-40 spears)
- cooking spray (such as Pam)
- garlic salt
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste, divided
- 3 red bell peppers (sweet)
- 44.37 ml finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 226.79 g dry lasagna noodles
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan-romano cheese mix, plus
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan-romano cheese mix, divided
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml finely minced sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 73.94 ml flour
- 473.18 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 226.79 g whole milk ricotta cheese
- 340.19-453.59 g canned white crab meat, flaked
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 226.79 g roped provolone cheese (if unavailable, substitute any soft, mild white cheese)
- 226.79 g havarti with dill
- 226.79 g fontina
- 1.23 ml Old Bay Seasoning
- 1Roast Garlic: Place oven rack on second notch (about 6 inches from heating element).
- 2Turn oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3Cut tops off of the heads of garlic and discard excess skin.
- 4Place garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over the tops.
- 5Fold up edges of foil and add 2 tsp white wine to the bottom.
- 6Seal packet tightly and place in oven.
- 7Bake 40-45 minutes or until garlic is tender when pierced.
- 8Open packet carefully to let cool and set aside (and enjoy the glorious aroma!).
- 9Roast Asparagus: Turn up heat to 400 degrees F.
- 10Holding at the end, gently bend each asparagus spear and snap off where it gives naturally.
- 11Discard ends (or save for soup).
- 12Pare leaves from stalks, leaving the tips intact.
- 13Soak asparagus in cold water for 10 minutes.
- 14Spray two cookie sheets (preferably with rims) with cooking spray.
- 15Rinse asparagus twice and drain.
- 16Blot dry with paper towels.
- 17Place in a large bowl.
- 18Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over asparagus, then sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- 19Toss to coat.
- 20Remove asparagus, letting excess oil drip back into the bowl, and arrange on cookie sheets.
- 21Set bowl aside.
- 22Roast asparagus 8 minutes or until bright green and crisp-tender.
- 23Let cool slightly, then remove asparagus to a plate, cover lightly with foil, and set aside.
- 24Roast Peppers: Turn on broiler.
- 25Cut peppers in half vertically through the stems.
- 26Rinse and remove seeds, stems and soft white inner parts.
- 27Blot dry with a paper towel.
- 28Place peppers on one of the previously used cookie sheets, cut-side down.
- 29Broil 5 minutes.
- 30Turn the cookie sheet around 180 degrees and broil another 5-7 minutes or until the pepper skins are about ¾ blackened.
- 31Turn off broiler.
- 32Remove peppers to a second bowl and cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
- 33Let rest 10 minutes.
- 34Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the lasagna noodles (follow package directions).
- 35After 10 minutes, or when peppers are cool enough to touch, peel off skins with your fingers.
- 36Cut peppers into strips and place in the bowl with the leftover olive oil.
- 37Add 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil to the bowl.
- 38Toss pepper strips to coat, then remove to a plate, allowing excess oil to drip back into the bowl.
- 39Cover lightly with foil and set aside.
- 40There should be a little olive oil and basil left in the bowl; set bowl aside.
- 41Cook Noodles: When water is boiling, add noodles and cook according to package directions.
- 42Lay out two sheets of aluminum foil (about the size of cookie sheets) on counter or table top.
- 43Spray foil with cooking spray.
- 44When noodles are done, drain, then remove with tongs and lay out on foil sheets side by side but not touching.
- 45Spray tops of noodles with cooking spray.
- 46Set aside.
- 47Roast Tomatoes: Turn broiler back on.
- 48Spray the cookie sheet used for the peppers with more cooking spray.
- 49Wash tomatoes and cut in half length-wise, removing any unpleasant white/yellow inner parts.
- 50Place tomatoes in bowl with the leftover olive oil.
- 51Add 1 tsp olive oil, 1 ½ tsp oregano, and 1 Tbsp chopped basil to the bowl.
- 52Toss tomatoes to coat.
- 53Arrange on cookie sheets, cut-side up.
- 54Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle remaining oil/seasoning on top of tomatoes.
- 55Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp grated parmesan-romano cheese.
- 56Broil 4 minutes.
- 57Carefully rotate cookie sheets 180 degrees.
- 58Broil another 4 minutes, or until tomatoes are quite soft and cheese is golden brown.
- 59Peel off loose skins, if desired.
- 60Set sheets of tomatoes aside to cool.
- 61Make Sauce: Melt 3 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium low.
- 62Add onion and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 63Saute 5-8 minutes or until softened.
- 64Turn down heat to low.
- 65Squeeze roasted garlic from individual cloves into skillet.
- 66Stir well, mashing any whole cloves with back of spoon.
- 67Sprinkle with salt and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 68Add 5 Tbsp flour and return heat to medium low.
- 69Stirring constantly, cook for 4-5 minutes, spreading out mixture with back of spoon (it should look like a slightly wet, uniformly golden paste – turn down heat if it begins to get dark spots, and turn up a bit if nothing seems to be happening).
- 70Add ¼ cup white wine and continue stirring for 1 minute or until wine has mostly disappeared.
- 71Remove skillet from heat and whisk in 2 cups fat-free half-and-half.
- 72Return to heat and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly (turn up heat to medium if necessary).
- 73Turn down heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently the first minute or two, and occasionally thereafter (the sauce should have noticeably thickened by the end).
- 74Turn off heat.
- 75Add ricotta, crab, and lemon juice.
- 76Stir very well.
- 77Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- 78Set aside.
- 79Assemble Lasagna: Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- 80Arrange ¼ of noodles (3 noodles) on bottom of pan.
- 81Top noodles with ¼ of sauce.
- 82Arrange tomatoes on top of sauce.
- 83Top tomatoes with provel to cover.
- 84Add a second layer of 3 noodles.
- 85Press down gently but firmly.
- 86Add another ¼ of sauce.
- 87Arrange half of asparagus spears on top of sauce in two rows, each row taking up about half the pan length-wise.
- 88Choose the less beautiful spears (the rest will go on top).
- 89Top asparagus with sliced havarti with dill.
- 90Add a third layer of 3 noodles.
- 91Press down gently but firmly.
- 92Top with ¼ of sauce (half of remaining sauce).
- 93Arrange peppers on top of sauce.
- 94Cover peppers with sliced fontina.
- 95Add the last layer of 3 noodles.
- 96Press down gently and firmly.
- 97Top with remaining sauce.
- 98Top sauce with the rest of the asparagus, nicely arranged in two rows.
- 99Sprinkle asparagus with 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil.
- 100Top with ½ cup grated parmesan-romano cheese.
- 101Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning and spray with cooking spray.
- 102Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 103Bake Lasagna: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 104Bake lasagna, still covered with foil, for 30 minutes.
- 105Remove foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and slightly brown and the parmesan-romano is golden brown.
- 106If the lasagna is cooked immediately rather than refrigerated, bake covered 20 minutes and uncovered 10-15 minutes, or until done.
- 107Let rest a few minutes, then cut pieces with a sharp knife (to pierce asparagus spears) and serve.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 5-Cheese Crab Lasagna With Roasted Garlic and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.8
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.4 mg
- Sodium 801.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 25.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
havarti with dill
Old Bay Seasoning