This is an easy and inexpensive recipe. A 20 oz bag of 15 bean soup mix can be substituted for the five cups dry beans.
- 1 cup dried dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup dried light red kidney beans
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (bottled)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 stalks celery (optional)
- Hydrate beans according to package instructions.
- Add beans and rice to slow cooker and cover with water (about 2 inches over top of beans).
- Add onions, tomatoes with juice, garlic, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, salt and bullion cubes. Stir the mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or until beans are tender.