1/1 Photo of 4th Generation Homemade Cherry Pie
1 hr 15 mins
This is a from scratch recipe. It takes me 45 min to put it together, but I've been making it since I was 7. It may take you somewhat longer, but it is very worth it! Especially with some vanilla ice cream on the side. My grandmother first got this recipe from her mother who got it off of an old crisco container. (That right there should tell you how good it is!) I love cherry pie, but I can't stand those super sweet one with the bing cherry filling. This is just right balance of tart and sweet. And with the homemade crust it practically melts in your mouth. Hope you all enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cherries (can should say red tart pitted cherries)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsifted flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Flaky Oil Pastry (for Pie Crust)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2To Make Pie Crusts:.
- 3Combine flour and salt in medium sized bowl.
- 4Cut in shortening with pastry cutter until mixture resembles little round pieces of dough.
- 5Add your tablespoons of water one at a time, stirring together with a fork.
- 6Form dough into 2 balls.
- 7Between two sheets of wax paper, roll out one ball of dough to the width and length of an average pie dish. It should be about 1/8 of an inch thick when completely rolled out. Carefully remove top wax sheet, and flip bottom wax sheet with pie crust onto your pie dish,(with the pie crust facing inside of your pie dish).
- 8Carefully remove wax sheet, and press pie crust into your pie dish.
- 9Roll out your second ball of dough for the top pie crust.
- 10Pour in your filling when done into the pie crust.
- 11Take your second pie crust for the top, peel off the top wax paper and place (pie crust down) on your pie, carefully peeling back the bottom piece of the wax paper.
- 12Pinch edges together, use a fork to create a decorative edge.
- 13Poke holes with a fork into the top of the crust.
- 14Bake at 425 degrees until crust is golden brown.
- 15To Make Filling:
- 16Drain cherries, reserve 1 cup of cherry liquid. Set cherries aside to stir in later.
- 17Combine sugar, flour and salt in medium sized saucepan.
- 18Stir in reserved cherry liquid.
- 19Bring to a boil while stirring continously with a whisk.
- 20When sauce is thick, reduce heat to a simmer.
- 21Simmer for 5 min, still stirring.
- 22Stir in butter and almond extract, and the cherries that you drained the liquid from. Do this with a spoon, so the cherries don't tear.
- 23Remove from heat.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 4th Generation Homemade Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.9
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 471.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g