2 hrs 30 mins
I have made this bread for many years. The recipe comes from and old book, over 25 years ago, The cover has left the book, but I believe it was called Ohio State Fair 4H Winning Recipes or something like this. My SIL wanted a hand made bread recipe. I search along time though my cookbook collection to find it. Thought I would post it to perserve it. I haven't made it in a long long time. This was my go to recipe before the invention of bread machines. I will have to take the time to make it again soon. This recipe has never failed me.Most and so tasty..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl thoroughly mix 2 cups of flour, sugar,salt and undissolved Yeast.
- 2Combine water, milk and margarine in a sauce pan. Heat over low heat until liquids are warm. (margarine does not need to be melted).
- 3Gradually add to dry mixture and beat 2 minutes with a mixer, at medium speed scrapping the sides of the bowl.
- 4Stir in enough of the remainig flour to make a soft dough.
- 5Turn dough out on a lightly foured board and kneed until elastic and smooth. About 8 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl. Turn dough over and cover. Let rise in a warm place intil doubled. About 1 hour.
- 7Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured board. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 8Divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf.
- 9Place each half in a greased 8 1/3 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- 10Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. About 1 hour.
- 11Bake in 400F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 12Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 4h Winning White Bread (Non Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (1265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1527.0
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 2569.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 285.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 39.1 g