I an lucky and have a shrimp connection....I get my shrimp right off the boat! I am always looking for an even better way to serve shrimp. This is a refreshing recipe for a shrimp appetizer or a summer salad. Marinate for the full 48 hours for the best taste. Great to use at a party, because the shrimp are already peeled....no need to clean up all those shells!
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 lbs unpeeled large raw shrimp
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bring 7 1/2 cups water to a rolling boil. Add the shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook. Drain and rinse with cold water. Ice the shrimp to cool, then peel and if desired, devein.
- .Layer the shrimp, red onion slices and bell pepper slices in an airtight container.
- Whisk together vegetable oil and next 9 ingredients; pour over shrimp. Cover and chill 48 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped basil 1 hour before serving.