Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I first heard of this watching "Barefoot Contessa" and I thought '40 cloves of Garlic, I know I love garlic but that is insane.' I was wrong. This recipe taste like it took all day to make. It is truly fabulous. I've tweaked it to my own style. One thing thought, is that the prep work is a little tedious. I'd say, do that the night before and refrigerate.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken (Whole legs or chicken breast with bone)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 shallot, minced
- cayenne pepper
- 40 garlic cloves (3 bulbs or heads of garlic)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio)
- 3 tablespoons cognac, divided (Hennessy or Jacques Cardin)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, divided (Crush for added flavor)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- Boil 4 Cups of Water.
- Separate All Garlic Cloves and add them to Boiling Water for 1 minute.
- Remove Skin from Garlic Cloves.
- Combine Minced Shallot, dash of Cayenne pepper, and 1 tablespoon of Thyme.
- Rub the seasoning of Shallot, cayenne and Thyme in between chicken skin.
- Heat on medium-high in a large Dutch Oven Pot the Olive Oil and Butter.
- Braise the Chicken (make sure your chicken is washed and patted dry).
- Braise the Chicken in batches for 5 minutes or until Golden Brown.
- Remove chicken to rest aside in a dish.
- Add the 40 Cloves of Garlic to the pot.
- Sauteed Garlic in residual oils in the pot until Golden Brown.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Cognac and All of the Wine.
- Bring to a boil then add back all of your chicken.
- Bring down the heat to the lowest you can.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Thyme Leaves.
- And cover to simmer on the lowest flame for 30 Minutes until cooked.
- In a bowl take Flour, heavy cream and 1 Cup of the Gravy and whisk.
- Whisk until smooth and add in 1 Tablespoon of Cognac.
- Add to the pot and combine well and bring to boil for 2 minutes
- Taste Test the Gravy, add desired Salt and Pepper.
- You can add the chicken back to the pot or spoon gravy over chicken.
- Serve Hot.