Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Not as garlic-y as you would think, the cloves remain unpeeled!
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 lbs whole chickens, rinsed well
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and sliced
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced,toasted
- Place 1 sprig each of thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley in chicken cavity.
- Place celery in bottom of stoneware pot.
- Put chicken on top of celery.
- Add garlic around chicken.
- Chop remaining herbs; sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low 8- 10 hours or on High 4- 6 hours.
- To serve, place chicken, garlic and celery on serving platter.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins onto toasted French bread slices and spread with a knife.
I made this chicken for dinner tonight, and was totally disappointed! The breast was extremely dry, and lacked flavor. There was not nearly enough salt. The aroma was fabulous and made my whole house smell so good. My husband got home and was so excited to eat the stuff that smelled so good! We were both highly disappointed. I even took it out of the crock pot early. The flavors of the garlic and herbs did not infuse the chicken with flavor at all! I think the only way to salvage this recipe, would be to brine the chicken for a day or two before hand. Sorry I didnt like this one.
This one was OUT OF THIS WORLD! It was like pulling teeth to get my DH and DSS to try some of the garlic...LOL! They both didn't believe that the flavor had mellowed out as much as it did. But once they tried it, I couldn't stop them! What a great recipe! Thank you for sharing!