Recipe by limecat
This chicken dish has a wonderful aroma of garlic and lemon and is so very tender! The garlic is delightfully edible and a great treat with this marvellous dish. It can be served with the garlic cloves made into a creamy garlic sauce too! This is a pleasure to eat and many side dishes can be served with it... especially potato and vegetables.
- 5 whole heads of garlic
- 2 1⁄4 kg whole chickens
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Separate the garlic into cloves, but do not peel them.
- Remove excess fat from chicken cavity and neck and discard.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one half. Rub the chicken all over with the lemon juice and place 1/2 the lemon into the cavity of the chicken.
- Season the chicken inside and out and put a sprig of tarragon in the cavity.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and brown the chicken on all sides over a moderate heat.
- Pour the brandy and ignite. When the flames die down, tuck the garlic cloves around and under the chicken and pour over the wine.
- Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for about 80-90 minutes.
- You can serve the chicken as is with the clear juices and garlic cloves, or make a wonderful creamy garlic sauce.
- This is made by pushing the cooked garlic through a sieve over a bowl, get all the pulp from the garlic and mix in with the juice from the chicken -- discarding the garlic skins and lemon pieces.
- This chicken is best served with potato and root vegetables with the creamy garlic sauce poured over the top.