Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Adopted recipe.The original recipe calls for baking in the oven, but you could also make this in a slow cooker on low if you don't want to tie up your oven for that long. This is a very easy stew to make. There isn't much prep to it, just some rough chopping of the veggies.Make sure you don't lift the foil in the oven b/c the steam helps cook the veggies just right!This would be great with a nice crusty bread on the side.
- 2 -3 lbs stew meat
- 1 large onion, cut up
- 4 carrots, cut up
- 2 stalks celery, cut up
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons dry tapioca
- 1 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup DelMonte ketchup
- Place meat on bottom of 9 X 13 pan.
- Spread veggies over top.
- Mix sugar, salt and tapioca in small bowl and then sprinkle over all the meat and veggies.
- Mix V8 and ketchup in small bowl and pour over all.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in oven at 250 for about 4-5 hours, no peeking.
This recipe is outstanding! It's everything you say it is! The wonderful aroma while it bakes... has everyone hanging around in the kitchen until it's done...and tastes even better! I trim the fat from a thick chuck roast, and cut it up into stew size pieces. Thank you!