Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great way to use up leftover bits of cheese and other things in the fridge. Simple ingredients, delicious and quick to prepare. Make ahead and pop into the oven for dinner, great for the freezer too.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, roughly chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded four cheese blend, asiago provolone romano parmesan cheese blend
- salt, pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and place in large mixing bowl.
- Saute onion, mushrooms and bacon in olive oil until carmelized; add wine and reduce; let cool and stir this mixture into cooked macaroni.
- Prepare white sauce by melting butter and adding flour, cook until bubbly, then slowly add milk.
- At medium low heat, stirring constantly, cook until velvety and thickened; add cheese and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add sauce to macaroni, stir well and season with parsley, salt and pepper and chili flake, if using.
- Spoon into ungreased baking dish, spread breadcrumbs evenly over surface - bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes.
We enjoyed - am going to use this sauce for not only the macaroni but other pastas as well. So easy to make - comes together really well - the crumb topping gives it added appeal. Add a green salad some crusty rolls and you have the perfect company quality lunch!