Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
No Dieters allowed!! This is serious comfort food.
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 12 ounces ziti pasta or 12 ounces penne or 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1 cup bel paese cheese or 1 cup gorgonzola, grated
- 2 cups Fontina cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Mix first 4 ingredients with a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Cook Pasta al dente, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Set pasta aside.
- Heat 4 Tablespoons of the butter, add onions and saute, stirring until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, stir until garlic is fragrant.
- Add flour; lower heat and cook, stirring frequently.
- Add half and half a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cheeses, saving 1 cup of the Fontina.
- Simmer until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Add Cayenne.
- Use cooking spray to coat casserole- you should need about a 3 qt size.
- Place pasta in casserole.
- Top with sauce, stir to distribute evenly.
- Place reserved fontina on top.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake 40 minutes, until top is brown and it's bubbly.
WOW! This was absolutely delicious!!! I will definetly be making this again!!