Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I was looking for another type of macaroni and cheese dish and came across this one from Emeril Lagasse. I haven't made it yet but plan on trying it out on my crew at Thanksgiving. What's not to like about Cream and Cheese - the epitome of comfort food.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 1⁄2 ounces grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spice essence (Emeril Lagasse's Essence)
- In a heavy medium saucepan melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the half& half a little at a time.
- Cook until thickened, about 4 or 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat, season with salt, pepper, hot sauce and 4 ounces of the grated parmesean cheese.
- Stir until the cheese melts and is smooth.
- Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water, cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add salt to taste and add the macaroni, stirring.
- Return to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until very al dente (slightly undercooked).
- Drain in a colander and return the macaroni to the pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the white sauce and stir until well mixed then set aside.
- Using the remaining tablespoon of butter, grease a 3 quart casserole or baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 4 ounces of the remaining parmesean cheese, cheddar, fontina and gruyere cheeses, tossing to combine.
- Place 1/3 of the macaroni in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the mixed cheeses.
- Top with another 1/3 of the macaroni and another 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, the remaining 1/2 ounce of grated parmesean cheese and the Essence.
- Sprinkle this over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and hot and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
I had a craving for Mac & Cheese so I decided to give this one a try. Very good and although I did not add the essence as in the directions, this came out wonderful. Thank you. :)