Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
In Thailand, basil is a vegetable, not a seasoning! This recipe from the Triple Whammy Diet is Low Fat, Low Carb, and Low Calorie. For ¼ cup of chopped chiles, use: Hotness Amount Not hot ¼ large, sweet bell pepper Mild 1 large Anaheim pepper Moderate 2 green cayenne peppers Hot 3 fresh jalapeño peppers Very hot 6 serrano peppers
- 3⁄4 lb beef eye round, trimmed of all fat and sliced to ribbons
- 1 medium onion, petalled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh green chile, chopped
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, sliced to ribbons
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, chopped or 3 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fish sauce
- Mix the Sauce and let it stand to one side.
- Heat the oil in a well-seasoned wok or broad non-stick skillet. TURN ON THE FAN, since frying chiles can chase everyone out of the house.
- When the oil is smoking hot, add everything but the Sauce to the pan and stir steadily. Fry the mixture mercilessly on high, still stirring, until it is frying, not boiling in the juices.
- When the onions begin to brown, turn down the heat and add the Sauce. Stir-fry one minute more, and serve on a bed of lettuce.