Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my original pasta sauce. It's different than those that are simmered all day, but it's better than jarred sauce, and it's quick. You can also play around with the seasonings to suit your own taste. DO NOT - please - cut the amount of olive oil. Trust me on this. It sounds like a lot, but it's not, really, when you add all the pasta.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch fennel seed (optional)
- 6 -10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with the juice, chopped (I do it with a pair of scissors)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the pepper, fennel and garlic and saute a couple of minutes just until the garlic is golden (not brown!).
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the herbs and salt.
- Stir to combine, bring to a good simmer, turn the heat to low and let cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Mix with cooked pasta and serve.
- Note 1- add as little or much garlic as you like- we like a lot.
- The same with the other ingredients- add the herbs you want in the amounts you want.
- You can saute 1/2 of an onion with the garlic if you like it.
- Note 2- You can substitute fresh herbs, but if you do double the measurement, and add them during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Note 3- add some raw, peeled shrimp to the sauce for the last five minutes for shrimp pasta.
Quick, delicious and a real family pleaser at my house! If you love pasta and want it on the table in a flash, this is the sauce to make!
I needed pasta sauce for another recipe and made this one because it didn't take too long and was not too involved. It is excellent with a really nice consistency as well as taste. I think this recipe will be made on a regular basis...