Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe relies on ready-to-use ingredients such as fresh egg roll wrappers (which don't require precooking). In keeping with the traditional recipes for lasagna, though, it still calls for the creamy, homemade Bechamel Sauce.
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until bubbly. Remove pan from heat and gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring; then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Choose a small baking dish in which 2 egg roll wrappers will fit snuggly side by side. In dish, layer a fourth of the marinara sauce, two egg roll wrappers, a third of the Bechamel Sauce, a third of the mozzarella cheese, and a fourth of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice more, ending with marinara sauce, egg roll wrapper, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 500°F oven until lasagna is golden brown on top and sauce is bubbly around edges (about 15 minutes). Let stand about 5 minutes before cutting in fourths to serve.