Recipe by Boo Chef in West Texas
. From The Best 30-Minute Recipe. Posting for ZWT Tagines are meat stews that feature a blend of sweet and savory ingredients. This will be very HOT coming out of the microwave. Serve the tagine over couscous or rice.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, quartered
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- MICROWAVE CHICKEN: Season chicken with salt and pepper and arrange in single layer in microwave-safe casserole dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on 50 percent power for 15 minutes.
- SAUTÉ : While chicken cooks, heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Stir in onion, garam masala, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- BUILD SAUCE: Stir in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in tomatoes, apricots, and chickpeas, bring to simmer, and cook until apricots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- SIMMER CHICKEN: Reduce heat to low and add microwaved chicken with any accumulated juices. Cover and continue to cook until chicken is tender, about 10 minutes.
- FINISH: Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.