Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Basically it's a Campbell's chicken and soup recipe that I had tweaked. I had 4 hungry friends over and no real food or money since where in college (this is a cheap dinner to make and easy to double good for big families). All I had on hand was chicken and rice and mushroom soup. Lucky I had a few spare items on hand. I didn't like the idea of chicken just sitting there in cream of mushroom soup for an hour in the oven with rice. So I tweaked it with white wine and made it on the stovetop we couldn't wait an hour. With the brown bits it made the greyish looking soup into a pretty golden color and the garlic woke everything up. The Uncle Ben flavor rices are awesome--when you're in a pinch I totally recommend them. You can also use egg noodles--it makes it a bit more richer. Ever since then, I get this request about twice a week and people still don't believe its cream of mushroom soup--who knew !
- 4 -6 chicken breasts, flattened out
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) packetof uncle ben's garlic and butter flavorful rice pilaf mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, add oil and 2 tablespoons of butter; let melt and then add chicken breasts. Cook until golden brown and juices run clear.
- While chicken is cooking, follow package directions for rice (it takes about 10 to 15 minutes I've found).
- In saucepan deglaze pan with wine.
- Don't get rid of those yummy brown bits--it gives this sauce flavor.
- Add garlic, cream of mushroom soup and milk; stir until creamy.
- Add cheese.
- When rice is cooked, pour into mushroom mixture. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread. Serves 4.
- You can also leave the rice separate and just put the chicken in the sauce--either way, it's your choice.
Very, very good! I tried it with Long grain and wild rice pilaf by uncle bens, and then with fetuccini the next day. I used fat free soup, and only used a bit of fresh grated parmesean, but it was the good stuff (I treat it like gold!). YUM! I'll make this again. Thanks for a great recipe!
very easy to make and it tasted fabulous. The kids came home from college and brought friends so this was a quick and easy recipe. My kids giggled when the frriends thought I cooked all day, my kids know I try as many 30 min or less meals or am known as the crockpot queen during the work week. great recipe. thank you
This was terrific!!! I loved it and so did my neighbor who happened to be here when it was about done and she wanted a bite. It was delicious. I didn't have high expectations for it...and boy was i surprised. This is a 10 star recipe. It was quick and easy to make. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!