Recipe by AZRT
This is a Rachel Ray recipe I had in my file for quite awhile, and had to try it recently to satisfy a craving. It turned out really well. I used made from scratch biscuit recipe as I couldn't locate the jiffy mix in my area, I made about 6 biscuits. Also, I think the refrigerated biscuits would work as well. Otherwise I followed the recipe pretty much exactly.
Top Review by EasyCooking
My husband loves this recipe. I follow the recipe pretty closely, and instead of using the jiffy mix, make my own using flour, salt, baking soda and milk. The first time I made this, I ended up with some really hard dumplings because I didn't use a wide pot. So the next time, I made just enough dumplings to cover the top of the pot. Then, in another pan, I made the rest of the batch (I just used additional two cans of chicken broth mixed with some poultry seasoning so the dumplings could cook in it). It came out wonderful and we ended up with light fluffy dumplings.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full
- 2 tablespoons flour, a handful
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart chicken stock, canned or paper container,preferred brand kitchen basics
- 1 (8 ounce) box biscuit mix (preferred brand Jiffy Mix)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, handful,chopped
- 1 cup frozen green pea
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice tenders into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Wash hands.
- Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat.
- Add oil, butter, vegetables and bay leaf and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Add flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir broth or stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken to the broth and stir.
- Place biscuit mix in a bowl.
- Combine with 1/2 cup warm water and parsley.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings evenly.
- Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low.
- Steam dumplings 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir chicken and dumplings to thicken sauce a bit.
- Stir peas into the pan, remove chicken and dumplings from heat and serve in shallow bowls.