Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this from family circle, and would like to keep it because it seems so versatile. This is to be combined with other flavor options posted.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 small bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 2⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken breasts smooth side down on a cutting board. Pull or cut tenders from breast halves and save for another use.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper over chicken pieces and pound lightly to an even thickness.
- Bring 8 cups water, bay leaves, and peppercorns to barely a simmer over medium heat in a large saute pan.
- Add chicken and cook for 10-12 minutes, keeping temperature moderate so only a few bubbles appear around chicken.
- Remove chicken when instant-read thermometer inserted in breast registers 160*.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Cut chicken into 3/4 inch cubes, stir together with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, and then with one of the flavor combinations:.
- Curried Chicken Salad:.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped golden raisins, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Waldorf Salad:.
- Stir in 1 Gala apple (cored and cubed), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 teaspoons cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Classic Chicken Salad:.
- Add 2 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, and 2 tablespoons mustard.