Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yesterday we were having a roast and made this as a side dish, normally for just plain cauliflower cheese you would use more cauliflower instead of broccoli, but this was very tasty and incredibly high in anti-cancer foods
- 2 cauliflower florets
- 2 broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 250 ml milk (approx)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Steam your vegetables, reserve the juice.
- Cut them into big bite size pieces and put in a oven dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add flour and mix in, it wont be smooth yet.
- Gradually add the milk stirring it in, (you don't want to add it quickly and get clumps, if so just beat it with a hand whisk). You want to get to a custard consistency. If you run out of milk you can use the juices from the vegetables to get it to a custard-like consistency.
- Once it is the right consistency and is starting to boil, add the cheese. It will start to thicken now.
- Wait a little bit while the cheese melts.
- Pour over vegetables.
- If it doesn't go in between the vegetables and just sits on top, put it back on the element and add some more juice or milk to get it right. You can leave until you want to cook or cook straight away.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes, or until done.
- If you like it extra cheesy, before you put it in the oven add some mozzarella cheese on top.
- It will be very hot, so be careful.
Really tasty! I actually chopped up some boneless chicken breast I had and threw it in with the rest of the ingredients! There was enough for 4 servings, but my boyfriend and I ate the whole thing! Thanks for the great recipe!