1/10 Photos of 3 Variations of a Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Bread Machine
4 hrs 20 mins
I have tried lots of variations of Gluten free bread but I wanted a recipe that I didn't have to search high and low for the different flours, this recipe has also cooked the best so far in my bread maker machine. Better yet I could get all the flours in one stop at the organic store. (Tip: Asian Markets have potato starch and tapioca and rice flour too) This recipe is Butter-Basted White Bread; I got this from a book in the library, I cannot remember the title or author. I make this bread for my mother and friend who cannot have gluten in their diet. They rave that this is better than the small store loafs and love that it cuts without crumbling and ideal for sandwiches, toast etc, they both prefer the 1 white/1 brown rice flour mix with linseed and sunflower seeds for taste and texture. The minimum setting I have on my bread machine is 4 hours, the bread cooks fine on this for me. Produces a smaller loaf than wheat bread loafs but still a decent size.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 2/3 cup powdered milk (or 1/2 non diary substitute)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 2/3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast, granules (or Bread Maker yeast)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (or dough enhancer)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon linseeds, and (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of cut up sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1Most of the ingredients can be placed straight into the baking pan of the bread maker in the order suggested in your manual. (Some place yeast on bottom, flour mix next, then sugar and liquids; other suggest the reverse order.).
- 2Place 1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast in bread pan.
- 3Add all the flours, xanthan/guar gum, milk powder and salt.
- 4Add the sugar.
- 5Beat the eggs.
- 6Combine all the water, the butter, vinegar, and eggs. (If your bread machine manual recipes call for warm water, use that. If it has a pre-heating cycle, put in at room temperature.).
- 7Use the white bread setting at medium crust (if you have this selection). Alternatively 3-4 hour setting.
- 91. Be careful reading tablespoon and teaspoon (I have read it wrong on occasion and achieved a 'not so good loaf').
- 102. I recommend that you always go back to the ingredient list and check you have included everything (that isn't optional) before cooking.
- 11This bread freezes well, for convenience slice before freezing.
- 12WHITE & BROWN:.
- 13Exchange 1 cup or both cups of white rice flour for brown rice flour. The results are excellent.
- 14TENDER BUTTERMILK BREAD:.
- 15A tasty bread with a distinctive flavor, it seems to stay fresh longer than other breads. Some lactose-intolerant celiacs can use buttermilk, so this may be a boon for them if they are allergic to the soy in some of the baby formulas or the coconut oil in most of nondairy substitutes.
- 16Follow the recipe for White Bread, but substitute 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk for the milk powder and omit the vinegar. Follow bread machine making instructions as per normal.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 3 Variations of a Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Bread Machine
Serving Size: 1 (1169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2693.0
- Calories from Fat 803
- Total Fat 89.2 g
- Saturated Fat 49.6 g
- Cholesterol 762.9 mg
- Sodium 4489.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 398.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 74.3 g
- Protein 73.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: