I have tried lots of variations of Gluten free bread but I wanted a recipe that I didn't have to search high and low for the different flours, this recipe has also cooked the best so far in my bread maker machine. Better yet I could get all the flours in one stop at the organic store. (Tip: Asian Markets have potato starch and tapioca and rice flour too) This recipe is Butter-Basted White Bread; I got this from a book in the library, I cannot remember the title or author. I make this bread for my mother and friend who cannot have gluten in their diet. They rave that this is better than the small store loafs and love that it cuts without crumbling and ideal for sandwiches, toast etc, they both prefer the 1 white/1 brown rice flour mix with linseed and sunflower seeds for taste and texture. The minimum setting I have on my bread machine is 4 hours, the bread cooks fine on this for me. Produces a smaller loaf than wheat bread loafs but still a decent size.
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 2⁄3 cup powdered milk (or 1/2 non diary substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry yeast, granules (or Bread Maker yeast)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (or dough enhancer)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon linseeds, and (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of cut up sunflower seeds (optional)
- Most of the ingredients can be placed straight into the baking pan of the bread maker in the order suggested in your manual. (Some place yeast on bottom, flour mix next, then sugar and liquids; other suggest the reverse order.).
- Place 1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast in bread pan.
- Add all the flours, xanthan/guar gum, milk powder and salt.
- Add the sugar.
- Beat the eggs.
- Combine all the water, the butter, vinegar, and eggs. (If your bread machine manual recipes call for warm water, use that. If it has a pre-heating cycle, put in at room temperature.).
- Use the white bread setting at medium crust (if you have this selection). Alternatively 3-4 hour setting.
- 1. Be careful reading tablespoon and teaspoon (I have read it wrong on occasion and achieved a 'not so good loaf').
- 2. I recommend that you always go back to the ingredient list and check you have included everything (that isn't optional) before cooking.
- This bread freezes well, for convenience slice before freezing.
- WHITE & BROWN:.
- Exchange 1 cup or both cups of white rice flour for brown rice flour. The results are excellent.
- TENDER BUTTERMILK BREAD:.
- A tasty bread with a distinctive flavor, it seems to stay fresh longer than other breads. Some lactose-intolerant celiacs can use buttermilk, so this may be a boon for them if they are allergic to the soy in some of the baby formulas or the coconut oil in most of nondairy substitutes.
- Follow the recipe for White Bread, but substitute 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk for the milk powder and omit the vinegar. Follow bread machine making instructions as per normal.