Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A real no fuss fish curry that comes your way it is cooked generally in my house for years !
- 2 cups cubed fish fillets (your fav. fish)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- Heat the oil preferably in cast iron skillet and add onions and garlic.
- Wait till they begin to turn brown.
- Add tomatoes and all the spices.
- Saute gently on medium heat till the oil comes out on the sides and curry is bright red.
- Add fillet cubes and saute gently till pieces are well coated.
- Add around 1/2 cup water and cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Fragrant, no fuss fish curry is ready!
Now a weekly staple. I also halves the turmeric, and added a tsp. of mild curry powder. Gives us that curry fix. Also can substitute a half of can of dices tomatoes if you don't have a fresh tomatoe on hand.
Good basic recipe. I don't think this is flavorful enough on it's own, so for some tastes it might be ok. I added a stem of curry leaves, chopped along with a 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and 3 chopped green chilis. I also added 1 tsp of curry powder. I used tilapia for fish and after all that, DH said it's the best dish I've ever made.
Enjoyed immensely the other night, coupled with a dried fruit and almond couscous. Love the tomato and turmeric combo anytime but kept cancoon's review in mind and halved the turmeric and added a tsp of curry paste. Wow. Great flavours. Will make this again in a flash when I need another fishy curry hit. And it's really easy, too. Thanks for your no fuss recipe.