Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My friend is from Oklahoma. She tells me this is a commom recipe back there. I personally have never tasted it. Any Okies out there???
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet peas
- 3 -4 small sweet gherkins
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream (or half n'half)
- Drain peas and place in bowl.
- Put peanuts and pickles in food processor and grind until gravel-like. Add to bowl.
- Mix in the pickle juice.
- Combine mustard, sugar, and cream together.
- Allow to sit 10-15 minutes for the sugar to dissolve.
- Mix in with the 3 P's.
- Serve at room temperature.
This was a fun change of pace. I think I would have liked even more pickles. I use defrosted frozen peas rather than canned.
My aunt made this for us when I was a kid - she was extremely proud of it, and so was my uncle. They were SO proud that I thought it was her own recipe for a long time. Anyway brother and I were talking about old times the other day, and he mentioned that our Aunt Claire, who has passed away, used to make this great "3-p" salad, and he wished he knew the recipe so he could make it now. Though I thought I knew what wasin it, I wasn't sure I had it right, but wanted to help him. I decided to try the internet, figuring that if it was out there anywhere, it'd be here. I actually wasn't sure I'd find it, but sure enough here it is! I've got to send it to him immediately! Thanks! I'll have a happy "baby brother" when I give him this.