Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From WW Online
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 medium raw eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken breast
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄3 teaspoon chives, dried
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 6 ounces soyakaas grated parmesan style soy cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon of salt; let stand 20 minutes to draw out moisture.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes more.
- Add fresh parsley, dried herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper; stir to coat.
- Cook until herbs and spices are fragrant. about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Off heat, coat surface of same skillet with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat.
- Wipe salt from eggplant slices with paper towel and add eggplant to hot skillet.
- Cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices on bottom of prepared baking pan, slightly overlapping pieces to cover entire surface of pan.
- Top eggplant with chicken mixture; top with 1/4 cup of grated topping.
- Top with remaining eggplant slices and remaining 1/2 cup of grated topping.
- Bake until top is golden brown and filling is hot, about 45 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes, slice into 8 pieces and serve.