Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a family favorite. I modified this recipe from an old roommate in college. She would make a vegetarian version without Italian sausage. It was also wonderful. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente
- (Optional) Brown the sausage well, crumbling with a fork. Remove from skillet and set aside. Remove excess grease.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook to desired tenderness. (I like to cook the heck out of the onions, but you really don't have to.)
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook to desired tenderness. (I only cook the peppers for a couple of minutes because I like them to stay a little bit firm.)
- When the veggies are at your desired tenderness, add the red wine vinegar and sugar. If using sausage, add the meat back to the skillet.
- If I am using fresh basil, I add it last. However, if I am using dried basil, I add it with the mushrooms.
- Pour all contents over al dente penne pasta. I like to top with grated parmesan cheese.
this is my 3rd time making it now, first time i used the sausage that i had to cook from raw, then sliced them, a lot of work, then i made it with just the sausage meat, looks like ground beef, it was great, but my daugther was not crazy about it. making it again a little differently again, will see how it turns out. this recipe is awesome indeed
Didn't use the mushrooms, used Chicken and Jalepeno sausage and sliced it instead of crumbling. Wow that was delicious!!!!!!
This recipe is great! I was a bit hesitant to make with the sausage just because my DH isn't a huge fan but I did anyway and he couldn't stop raving about it. I always taste the food as I go but right now I am sick and my sense of smell and taste are gone so I was nervous to serve without testing it out! Needless to say it turned out perfect and my DH wants this to be a monthly if not weekly meal! I used rotini noodles and doubled the mushrooms and garlic, I also added 1/4 cup salsa for a spicy kick!