1/1 Photo of 3 Pepper Pasta
This is a family favorite. I modified this recipe from an old roommate in college. She would make a vegetarian version without Italian sausage. It was also wonderful. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 1(Optional) Brown the sausage well, crumbling with a fork. Remove from skillet and set aside. Remove excess grease.
- 2In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook to desired tenderness. (I like to cook the heck out of the onions, but you really don't have to.)
- 3Add mushrooms and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add peppers and cook to desired tenderness. (I only cook the peppers for a couple of minutes because I like them to stay a little bit firm.)
- 5When the veggies are at your desired tenderness, add the red wine vinegar and sugar. If using sausage, add the meat back to the skillet.
- 6If I am using fresh basil, I add it last. However, if I am using dried basil, I add it with the mushrooms.
- 7Pour all contents over al dente penne pasta. I like to top with grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 3 Pepper Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.7
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g