Recipe by Alissa970
This is a family favorite. I modified this recipe from an old roommate in college. She would make a vegetarian version without Italian sausage. It was also wonderful. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by bellachica64
this is my 3rd time making it now, first time i used the sausage that i had to cook from raw, then sliced them, a lot of work, then i made it with just the sausage meat, looks like ground beef, it was great, but my daugther was not crazy about it. making it again a little differently again, will see how it turns out. this recipe is awesome indeed
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente
Directions See How It's Made
- (Optional) Brown the sausage well, crumbling with a fork. Remove from skillet and set aside. Remove excess grease.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook to desired tenderness. (I like to cook the heck out of the onions, but you really don't have to.)
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook to desired tenderness. (I only cook the peppers for a couple of minutes because I like them to stay a little bit firm.)
- When the veggies are at your desired tenderness, add the red wine vinegar and sugar. If using sausage, add the meat back to the skillet.
- If I am using fresh basil, I add it last. However, if I am using dried basil, I add it with the mushrooms.
- Pour all contents over al dente penne pasta. I like to top with grated parmesan cheese.