Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
3 Delicious oven fried chicken recipes. Variations: Basic Oven Fried, Italian and Mexican. Prep time includes cleaning chicken and coating it.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut-up
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place margarine in a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Melt margarine in the oven; remove pan from oven.
- Mix Bisquick Mix, paprika, salt and pepper; coat chicken pieces.
- Place chicken (skin-side-down) in baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; remove pan from oven.
- Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Turn chicken over, (in pan) and bake in oven for additional 30 minutes.
- Serves 4 to 6 people.
- Variations: For Italian chicken, add 1 T. of Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder to the coating mix.
- Mexican chicken: decrease Bisquick Mix to 1/2 c., and add 2 T. cornmeal and 1-2 T. chili powder.
I've been making Bisquick oven-fried chicken for years - love it! No mess! To make it healthier I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs - be sure to use glass pyrex baking dish - I also add a little water - about a quarter cup after it's been cooking for a while. Also, cut both cooking times by about 5-10 minutes because it cooks quicker without the skin and bones. A lot less grease in the pan (and on your hips) but no loss of great flavor. Tonite I also added pizza pepper to the bisquick mix for more zing. Hubbie loved it!
Madt this today for a picnic tonight. It is delicious. I added some garlic powder, dried thyme, lots of pepper and used butter instead of margarine. Very tasty chicken indeed! Very easy to do. Maximum taste for mimimun effort.