Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a buttery, hearty, warming soup. Has leeks, red onions, scallions, lots of garlic, and dried Porcini mushrooms. You can top it with cheese if you like.
- 3 leeks, sliced, white part only, rinsed very good
- 3 large red onions, sliced
- 6-10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml dried porcini mushrooms, soaked and rough chopped (reserve liquid for soup)
- 1892.72 ml water
- 29.58 ml beef base or 29.58 ml vegetable stock base
- 4.92 ml dried parsley
- scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot.
- Sauté leeks, onions, salt, pepper, sugar, 8-10 minutes adding garlic and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add strained chopped mushrooms, water, beef base, strained liquid from mushrooms and parsley.
- Bring to a boil lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 more minutes.
- If desired, toast bread in over and top with your favorite cheese and place on top of soup and serve topped with a garnish of scallions and pepper.
- For vegetarian use only the vegetable base.
I can't fairly give a rating here because I made so many changes - but this was very good! I have been waiting for my incompetent grocery store to have leeks in stock but apparently that's not happening - so today I simply ran out of patience! I made your recipe with a combo of dried porcini, baby bella, red and white onions. The soup is just finished and I burned my mouth in my haste to taste it! I vow to make this again and give it a rating based on the ingredients! Thanks, Rita!
This was fabulous. Though I followed the recipe (for the most part the only changes i made were to use sweet onions and to caramelize the onions prior to adding the leeks and spices and I skipped the parsley out of laziness!) I put cheese on top- the only kind I had was a mix of provolone, mozz and parmesan shredded and it was PERFECT on top of this. Oh, and I had to add another 1/2 tbsp of beef base concentrate but that was personal preference. I think it would have been fine if I didn't. Thanks for an awesome recipe! Next time I make this I am doubling the mushrooms!
We loved this soup. I didn't have any leeks so used all sweet onion. Loved the addition of mushrooms. I also added a splash of red wine for a little more depth of flavor. This warmed us on a cold, drizzly evening. Thanks for posting!