This is a hearty cold weather stew that is great for a winter dinner, waiting for you when you come home; served with crusty rolls or bread and a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables, chopped (or your choice of fresh)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, undrained
- 3/4 cup barley, uncooked
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1Sear meat in a frying pan with a little olive oil and put aside.
- 2Place all the vegetables (except the mushrooms) into bottom of crockpot.
- 3Pour barley over vegetables.
- 4Add stew meat and all seasonings.
- 5Add beef broth, wine, and can of diced tomatoes with italian herbs.
- 6Cook on low for 6 hours and then add mushrooms, stir and cook on low one more hour.
- 7Serve with crusty rolls or bread to sop up the last of the broth.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 3 Mushroom Beef & Vegetable Stew W/ Barley
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.3
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 887.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 52.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano