Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a hearty cold weather stew that is great for a winter dinner, waiting for you when you come home; served with crusty rolls or bread and a salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables, chopped (or your choice of fresh)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup barley, uncooked
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Sear meat in a frying pan with a little olive oil and put aside.
- Place all the vegetables (except the mushrooms) into bottom of crockpot.
- Pour barley over vegetables.
- Add stew meat and all seasonings.
- Add beef broth, wine, and can of diced tomatoes with italian herbs.
- Cook on low for 6 hours and then add mushrooms, stir and cook on low one more hour.
- Serve with crusty rolls or bread to sop up the last of the broth.