Prep 3 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a Quaker Oats newsletter.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons margarine or 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup Nestle Toll House Baking Cocoa
- 3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned*, uncooked)
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, margarine, milk and cocoa. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue boiling 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in oats.* Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until firm. Store tightly covered.
- Makes about 3 dozen.
- *If using old fashioned oats, cool mixture in saucepan 5 minutes.
I made these for Christmas & they turned out perfectly:-)
I've found that if you use the unsweeted baker's chocolate (4 squares) and melt them in a double boiler first. Once the chocolate is melted, you add in the butter, sugar, and milk. Bring that to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add in the vanilla and then pour over the oats. Your consistency will be perfect and the cookies will harden the way you want them too once you spoon them out on waxed paper
The flavor of these cooekies are really good...but I can't seem to get them to harden no matter what I do. Sometimes I get tired of waiting so I put them in a bowl and use a fork paired with a glass of milk.