Top Review by Recipe Maven
Made this for dessert with company coming and it was good. I have had others that are better (Wacky Cake). This cake came out kind of dry, which was part of the problem, because I love a nice moist cake. I may try it again sometime and see if it turns out differently the second time.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unstant instant coffee granules (for a more intense flavor use 1 teaspoon)
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven to second-lowest rack.
- Grease three 9-inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a heat proof medium mixing bowl mix together the boiling water with cocoa powder and coffee granules until completely combined; allow to cool for about 20 minutes or until room temperature.
- In another bowl sift the flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with both sugars and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly beweeen the cake pans.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until cakes test done.