Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
this cake is nothing short of amazing, it is meant to be baked in three pans, baking in anything less will not produce the best results -- see my Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unstant instant coffee granules (for a more intense flavor use 1 teaspoon)
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven to second-lowest rack.
- Grease three 9-inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a heat proof medium mixing bowl mix together the boiling water with cocoa powder and coffee granules until completely combined; allow to cool for about 20 minutes or until room temperature.
- In another bowl sift the flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with both sugars and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly beweeen the cake pans.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until cakes test done.