Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's not cake and it's not cheesecake. It's something in-between. A great make ahead cake. You need to chill the crust for a least 4 hours before adding berry topping.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, plus
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (low fat works fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly (at room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries (to garnish) or 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds (to garnish)
- Layer 1: Make this part 4 to 24 hours ahead: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in margarine until texture feels like corn meal.
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Then add all at once to the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to make a soft dough.
- Using fingers, gently pat dough into the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan.
- Layer 2: Combine all ingredients.
- Beat until creamy with mixer on high.
- Spread over dough in the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely and cover.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Layer 3: 3 hours or less before serving:.
- Arrange berries on top of cake.
- Stir jelly to soften, then brush jelly over berries.
- Garnish with blueberries or toasted almond slices. (Toast almond slices in a fry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until browned a bit.).