Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have been wanting to try a quinoa based pizza crust for quite some time, but all the recipes I have come across require soaking the quinoa for hours on end. I wanted something quick AND pizza like. This crust is crispy yet moist in the middle, just like a pizza crust should be, and it is super easy! Hello, only three ingredients! So, enjoy! (The cooking time shown includes time for preparing the quinoa)
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup almond flour or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the quinoa and water into a small saucepan, adding a dash of salt and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and simmer approximately 15 minutes or until the quinoa is soft and fluffy. **IMPORTANT:** You should not let the quinoa absorb ALL of the water, there should be a couple teaspoons left, although the quinoa will be cooked.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the warm cooked quinoa, its liquid (should not be more than a tablespoon), the oil, and the flour. Mush it all together with your hands until a dough like texture is achieved.
- (At this point, you can add any seasonings to the dough you would like. I used cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, dill, and a bit of sriacha. You may omit this step but your crust won't have as much flavor!).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and shape the dough on it into a circle. The crust should be 1 cm thick and yield one pizza about 6 inches in diameter.
- Bake ten minutes, flip, and bake ten more minutes. You want to keep flipping the pizza so both sides are evenly crisped, however long that takes. If you don't do this correctly, the pizza will be "wet". Do not add your toppings until the crust is crisped on both sides!
- Remove from the oven and remove the parchment from the pan. Now you can add your toppings to your pizza. Return it to the pan (no parchment), and bake it for about 10 more minutes, or until everything looks crisp and melted.
- Remove from the oven again, cut into pieces, and enjoy!