1 hr 12 mins
Air Force Mama's Note:
Adapted from Local Milk
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a heavy bottom baking sheet with canola oil.
- 2Combine your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Cut the fat into the flour with your fingers or a pastry cutter until it resembles course meal and there are no pieces of fat bigger than a pea.
- 4Stir in the buttermilk until just combined.
- 5Let this sit out to proof for 20 minutes.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and sprinkle the top lightly with flour.
- 7Form dough into a rectangle with the narrow side facing you, about 1 inch thick.
- 8Fold the dough in half, folding the far side of the dough toward you.
- 9Turn the dough clockwise, gently pat back out in a rectangle and repeat this three more times, careful not to pat out the air pockets created by the folding, as these are essential to a light, tall, flaky biscuit.
- 10After the forth fold, shape your dough into a nice circle and make sure your work surface has enough flour to roll the dough out.
- 11Using a rolling pin gently "bounce" your dough out from the middle until about 2 inches thick, sheen with a little flour, just to smooth dough, and continue to roll out until 3/4 inch thick.
- 12Using a floured biscuit cutter of your choice, cut the biscuits out starting from the sides.
- 13Do not twist your biscuit cutter as this will seal the sides of the biscuits and prevent rising.
- 14Gently place biscuits onto your greased sheet pan.
- 15Let proof again once cut for another 20 minutes.
- 16Depending on the size of your biscuits bake for 8-12 minutes.
- 17Check them often the first time, baking until just golden.
- 18If your biscuits are done on the outside and doughy on the inside, your oven is too hot.
- 19Brush tops with butter if desired.
- 20*Cool biscuits completely before storing in an air tight container. To reheat biscuits, lightly wet tops and microwave or put in the oven. Reheating in the oven will make them dryer.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 3 Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.5
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 264.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: